Saturday, March 22, 2008

Landscapers Challenge!

Well Shaun has been working hard today trying to make the most of our yard. He rented a bobcat for the weekend to try and flatten out some areas of land to the side and front of our house and make them more usable - especially for the kids to play on. Our land is very hilly and not that great for the kids playing. So, he's been out there since around 8am this morning cutting into the banks and levelling everything out. It looks messy in the sense that it's all dirt and not grass but it's a big improvement and he's not even done yet. Here's the progress so far.

This is the land to the side and front of our house. It's not really useful for much other than climbing trees - some of which were wiped out today - and running the dog. Shaun's hope is that this will flatten out nicely and be a good area for the kids to play soccer once the grass re-grows.

This piece is right outside of our front door and as I sit here typing this he's still digging away out there. We would like to flatten out a bigger area directly in front of the house and then have a few levelled areas up the bank so it's more of a stepped effect if that makes sense? This is the hardest part of the grass to mow because of the angle and it would be nice if it was levelled out in stages.

So while this has been going on outside the kids and I have been playing, cleaning, making dinner etc. We went out to Home Depot this afternoon to pick up a large landscapers rake and a diesel can and then got some diesel on the way home. Once we brought that home we headed to the library - remember how it was closed yesterday? Both kids were happy with their stash of books and Joe was especially happy as the nice lady helped to find him a ton of Star Wars books!!!!! Who knew books could be so much fun. I think Joe got a total of around 10 books and Amy got maybe 6. I on the other hand know my limits and borrowed 1! I got another Jodi Picoult book and I'm hoping it turns out to be as good as "My Sister's Keeper." I will let you know.

I'm sure we will have an early start in the morning with it being Easter Sunday. The kids will be eager to get downstairs and see if the Easter Bunny left anything for them. I'm sure he will - he seems to be a pretty generous bunny ;-) We aren't doing anything particularly special for tomorrow. We will have an egg hunt if the bunny can find some clean areas of grass to leave some and I will make a nice dinner but that will be as ambitious as it will get. Shaun will be playing on his new toy again no doubt.

Well, Joe is waiting for me to go and read another Star Wars book to him so I better get a move on. Oh, remember we made our own pizzas last night? - this is how mine turned out and it was delicious!



2 comments:

Denise said...

I know exactly what you mean with the front lawn, cos I can remember how hilly your front was. That will be great if Shaun levels it and puts some tiers in further up the bank.
So what Jodi P book did you get? I've read a couple of hers and have two on my shelf to read. I've got Vanishing Act and The Pact to read. I've also read My Sisters Keeper, that was my first of hers and it was probably the best so far. I also read The Tenth Circle in book club last year.

CindyLoo said...

I just LOVE Jodi Picoult books! I'm just finishing up Vanishing Acts and have Nineteen Minutes waiting for me as well as 2 others I bought the other day. I just can't get enough of them!