Monday, June 9, 2008

Busy Days!

This past week has been a busy one - although when is it not busy around here? Thankfully Joe's soccer practices have now finished so at least that's one activity to cross off the list and it has really helped to cut down on the craziness.

We have had some whacky weather of late and it started with a huge storm on Wednesday afternoon that brought a number of tornadoes through our area. It was really strange. The kids and I were at our pool when we heard thunder way in the distance. I was really hot so I jumped in the pool, swam one length and got out only to hear thunder again (still sounding miles away). We went inside and by the time we got up to the living room all hell had broken loose and there was just the most horrible storm ever. It was so incredibly windy and leaves and everything were in the air that you just couldn't see anything when you looked out of the windows. Then came the hail and then the torrential rain that lasted a good while. Another set of storms came through a little later and more tornadoes with that so we all stayed down in the basement until it had passed. The kids were really scared - me too! We were lucky and didn't have any damage but others weren't so lucky.

Last week Amy had field day at her school and she had a great time. She loves sports so much so this is right up her alley. All the 2nd Graders were together but broken into groups of about 20 to move around the different stations. Amy won all of the races she ran in :)



The last few days here have been unbearably hot and humid. The heat index has been around 110F and it is just too hot to do anything outside other than be in the pool. So, that's all we've done this weekend:) On Saturday we had Joe's soccer team over for a pool party and yesterday we had Amy's team. Both parties were a lot of fun. For Joe's team we bought soccer picture frames and I printed out an action shot of each child to put in them. We swam for about 5hours, ate hot dogs, burgers and sides and then had cake for dessert. Joe's team is called The Green Dragons so of course I made a green dragon. There were 10 adults and 11 kids present.



For Amy's team party yesterday we had a total of 36 people - 20 of which were kids! It sounds crazy but it was a lot of fun. We have a great group on this team and the parents and kids all get along really well. A good time was had by all. Seeing as the girls didn't win anything this season we chose to buy them medals just as recognition for all of their hard work. The girls were all thrilled with them. Shaun and I also got a nice gift from the team - a gift certificate which we will use to eat out. I forgot to say that on Saturday night I was starting to make the cake for the party on Sunday afternoon. Our team is called The Sharks so I of course made a shark cake. I had already baked the cakes but hadn't started the decorating and because I was so tired from entertaining all afternoon (no to mentioned all of the cleaning beforehand!) I didn't get started again until about 9.30pm. I was just about to start putting the fondant over the cake when an almighty storm erupted and our power went out! It was off until after midnight so I had to get up early on Sunday morning and finish the cake then just in time for our guests arriving.

Kid soup!

You might think after all that that I'd be happy to have a really quiet week and not have anyone over but I have invited Joe's class friends over tomorrow at 11am. I want to try and get them over here before the public schools get out and then all of the older siblings etc have to come too. Thursday is Amy's last day of school and they have early dismissal so I've told her she can invite some friends over then to celebrate the start of summer. Should be fun! I really don't mind having people over a lot when it's warm enough to swim - it's easy entertaining. We may have friends over on Sunday too for Father's Day - depending on the weather for that day.

Ok, enough is enough. I must go and do something before having to run and get Amy. We will be coming straight home as it's too hot to do anything outside. We'll hit the pool and grill steaks for dinner - yum! Stay cool!!!

1 comment:

Denise said...

Goodness you like the entertaining don't you - I don't know how you aren't totally exhausted with all that, or perhaps you are.
Wonderful cakes of course, I really don't know how you cut in to them!
The storms sound terrible, hope that's the last you have this season.