Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Back to Basics

Today I'm trying to get myself a little more organized and in control in relation to what I'm eating and how I shop/ plan meals. Actually, I don't plan meals which is my biggest problem. I tend to just decide that day what we'll eat for dinner and then if I don't have the ingredients I'll run to the store. I know the kids will get very bored of that so I am going to plan my menu at least for a week and see if I can cut down on the runs to the store. I'm sure it'll be a work in progress but I will at least try.

I'm also going to go back to my breakfast smoothies and see if I can get into that routine again. This morning I'm enjoying a banana, blueberry and strawberry yogurt smoothie and it is delish! I also added a heaped tablespoon of flax seed. Here's a pic - and yes, I'd already drank half when I remembered to take a pic!
I have been battling a horrible sinus infection for the last few days and I finally gave in and went to the Drs office yesterday. I got a 10 day supply of antibiotics and I can tell they are already making a difference after only 2 doses. I'm still really congested and nauseous but not quite as bad as I have been and my throat no longer hurts. Hopefully it will improve some more as the day goes on as I'm ready to be done with it.

Ok, I'm off to plan my menus and get my coupons together and make an attempt at being a savvy shopper. Have any of you tried The Grocery Game before? If you haven't then take a look at the website and if you are in the US then it's definitely worth a shot. You get a free trial for $1 for the first month and then it's $10 for 8 weeks after that. Basically the site monitors the grocery store prices, sales and coupons and tells you when to buy certain items so that you always buy them when they are at their rock bottom price. You need to buy the Sunday paper to get the coupons from the inserts and you need to be prepared to clip coupons but you can save a huge amount and with the way things are going here at the moment, any saving helps. If only they had gas coupons!

1 comment:

Denise said...

I had what you've got last week, and I'm still taking my antibiotics! Hope you're feeling better soon too.
I've seen that grocery game before and I think we even tried it for the $1 but it looks too much work for me to keep up with. I do try to plan my menu each week but this week Jason is away so I haven't had to be as strict about it. Last night I popped some Orange Roughy in the oven for me and gave Kristen fish sticks, with broccoli and mac and cheese! I had a salad with my fish.
I need to get better at eating again though.