Thursday, May 1, 2008

Taking a break

I'm supposed to be getting as much of my cake done as I can this morning but I'm taking a break after just having burned the palm of my hand quite badly. I think the only reason I can type so well is because it's numbed up so much right now with ice. Ouch!

Well I'm glad to have inspired at least of couple of you into checking out the "clean eating" magazine. Denise, I knew you'd jump at the chance as it's pretty much what you've been striving towards lately. In answer to one of your questions yes I do feed the kids whatever Shaun and I eat. Thankfully they love salad and their veggies - I usually have to bribe them to eat the protein and not just all of the veggies so they are not starving in 15 minutes! They tend to like raw veggies more than cooked so we eat a lot of salad which is fine by me seeing as it's less for me to cook. I want to try out the granola bar recipe you had on your blog and I will have the kids help me to make them and I think they will be more inclined to eat them. Actually, I really need to let them help out more in the kitchen and prepare their own food as I think they would try a lot more things that way - especially the more healthful stuff. Sure they still eat their processed snacks and candy but I get veggies and good stuff in them at every opportunity. I would like to get away from the sugary cereal but I don't think that will be easy.

Talking of breakfast this is my breakfast smoothie for this morning.
It is mango, strawberry, vanilla yogurt and a little filtered water
(crushed ice makes it too cold for me.) It was delicious but the next thing for me to do once I've used up my stash of Dannon "Best Life" yogurt is to change brands. I learned that this yoghurt has high fructose syrup added to it which is gross. It's the cheapest sweetener for manufacturers to use and it also acts as a thickener - yuck! I'm probably going to buy Dannon Activia from now on. Just little changes like that will all add up and hopefully improve the health of us all. Since Amy eats so much peanut butter I will switch her to a natural brand also and I'm sure she won't even notice the difference.
Well, this post is over for now. My hand is feeling better so I'm going to clean up my counter and then pack up my car and head to the dump before picking up Joe from school. Wishing you all a (clean) healthy day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie, please make a copy of Denise's granola bar recipe for me to try as well.... it sounds yummy!

Denise said...

the granola bar recipe I used was at allrecipes.com. just type in chewy granola bars and there's a few to try, I'll send you the link to the one I did in a bit. I liked them but they didn't stick together much until I put them in the fridge, I kinda liked them cold.
So how'd you burn your hand? I hope it's ok.
I couldn't find the mag in Walmart today, bummer. I will probably have to wait til I get the free copy which could take weeks :-/
I am using Horizon organic yogurts now, i get the tubes for Kristen and I bought the fat free vanilla and plain ones for us to try, Kristen likes the vanilla one but it seems to have a lot of sugar in it? I like the plain one and am going to try that poppy seed dressing tonight for my spinach salad (the one on the CE site).
Kristen won't eat salad and only broccoli, but I will keep trying.

Denise said...

What you eating today?
;-)

Denise said...

MALTESERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!